Guide to East London

Britannia Home
Travel Home

Earth Mysteries
Virtual Tours

UK Vacations
UK & London Hotels
Travel Directories
Resource Centre
Reservations Centre
Packing Guide
Currency Converter
ATM Locator
UK Weather
UK Phonebook

Pitkin Guides
Britain & England

Airport Transfers
Car Rental

East End Professional Football Clubs

Boleyn Ground. Green Street, Upton Park, London E13
Tube: Upton Park

West Ham United's first players were workers at the Ship Building Company, the `Thames Iron Works', hence their name 'The Hammers'. The Club was sponsored by the head of the Company, Mr Arnold Hills who was responsible for its move to the Memorial Ground in Canning Town.

The Club is East London's Premier League Soccer Team. It has had fewer Managers than any other Premier League club, a total of only eight managers since it was formed in the summer of 1895, six of these since the Second World War. The current boss, Harry Redknapp, was a former player, as was his predecessor Billy Bonds.

The team won the prestigious Football Association Cup in 1964 under manager Ron Greenwood and in 1965 they won the European Cup winners' Cup. At that time three West Ham players - Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters - were established members of the English national team, and they were Wembley winners again in 1966 when England won the World Cup after famously beating West Germany 4-2 in extra time. West Ham won the FA Cup again in 1975 and 1980 and had their most successful season in 1985/86 when they finished third in League Division One.

West Ham United's anthem is "I'm forever blowing bubbles" and the club has a good reputation for developing its own players. The Boleyn Ground takes its name from Henry VIII's second wife, Anne Boleyn. The ground has a total capacity of 25,985.
Matchroom Stadium. Brisbane Road, London, E10. Tube: Leyton

The original soccer club was established in 1881 by the Glyn Cricket Club to keep fit during the winter ! Seven years later one of the players, working for the Orient Shipping Line, got the club take on the name of Orient. In 1898 the name was changed to Clapton Orient in a bid to gain support from the affluent residents of Clapton, East London.

The club moved to its current home in Leyton in 1938 but found itself financial trouble after the second world war. Yet another name changed followed, this time to Leyton Orient.

In 1962, Leyton won promotion to League Division One and recorded an attendance of 34,345 for the FA Cup tie against their neighbours West Ham United.

Recent cash problems have been alleviated with the purchase of the club by Barry Hearn. The previous chairman, Tony Wood MBE, was forced to sell after the collapse of his coffee business in the Civil War in Rwanda.

Leyton is currently in the Third Division, working very hard to maintain and build itself as an important part of the local community.

Copyright ©2001, LLC   Questions? Comments!   Design & Development Unica Multimedia