| Tours > Ancient York > Merchant Adventurers' Hall|
by David Nash Ford BA,
History on Britannia
Merchant Adventurers' Hall
The Merchant Adventurer's Hall, approached via an alleyway in Fossgate, is the largest timber-framed building in the city of York. Founded in 1357, as a religious institution known as the Guild of Our Lord and the Blessed Virgin, the hall was later taken over by the Merchant Adventurer's Company who controlled foreign trade in the city. They were first given a Royal licence by King Edward III.
The 14th century great hall, undercroft and 15th century chapel are all open to the public and display the history of the company, along with their collection of silver and portraits of local benefactors. Among the ancient beams, banners of York's medieval guilds reawaken the pageantry associated with this outstanding medieval guildhall.
Next Stop: Dick Turpin's Grave
Copyright ©2007 Britannia.com, LLC Questions? Comments!