| Tours > Ancient York > The Mansion House|
by David Nash Ford BA,
History on Britannia
The Mansion House
At the junction of Lendal & Coney Street
The Mansion House, in St. Helen's Square, has been the official residence of the Mayor of York since it was first built in 1725. This colourful Georgian town-house has an evocative and striking facade of pilasters surmounted by the city's arms and stands next to the site of the old Roman Praetorian Gateway.
Though only open to the public on extremely rare occasions (or by appointment), the interior is richly furnished and houses the city's important collection of Silver and Plate. This includes York's great sword of state, dated 1416, which once belonged to the Holy Roman Emperor Sigismund.
Next Stop: The Guildhall
Copyright ©2007 Britannia.com, LLC Questions? Comments!