| Tours > Ancient York > Museum Gardens|
by David Nash Ford BA,
History on Britannia
Sandwiched between Museum Street
In 1827, the newly formed Yorkshire Philosophical Society purchased three acres of land around the ruins of St. Mary's Abbey in York. Here they built the neo-classical Yorkshire Museum and laid out a beautiful series of gardens around it. These were extended in 1836 and 1843 and laid out to a plan by Sir John Naysmyth.
Today the gardens are the city's main public park: a beautiful spot to stop and let the day pass by. During the summer, the sweeping lawns become covered with visitors and locals alike, enjoying the sunshine. Within the grounds are the famous Roman Multangular Tower and an early astronomical observatory (1831) which, for many years housed the largest refracting telescope in the World.
Next Stop: Multangular Tower
Copyright ©2007 Britannia.com, LLC Questions? Comments!