| Tours > Ancient York > Theatre Royal|
by David Nash Ford BA,
History on Britannia
In St. Leonard's Place
Thomas Keregan, manager of an itinerant company of actors, set up a theatre in Minster Yard of York in the 17th century, when playhouses outside London were still illegal. His widow moved it to the present site in St. Leonard's Place in 1744. The Georgian building, incorporating remains of St. Leonard's Hospital, was remodelled in Victorian times and the new glass extension added in 1967.
The theatre has its own repertory company which alternates its productions with touring plays, opera, ballet and occasional amateur shows. It provides an extensive programme encompassing both familiar classics and more recent works.
Next Stop: St. Leonard's Hospital
Copyright ©2007 Britannia.com, LLC Questions? Comments!