| Tours > Ancient York > Minster Yard|
by David Nash Ford BA,
History on Britannia
Surrounding the eastern portion of the Minster
York Minster does not really have a coherent 'Close' like other English cathedrals, but the quiet area to the south-east is the heart of its equivalent, the old 'Minster Yard'. College Street has the obligatory pleasant green on which to sit, and perhaps picnic, before St. William's College and the Minster's imposing east Front. Only the medieval gatehouse on the corner of Goodramgate reminds us of more restrictive times.
For this region of the city, known as the Liberty of St. Peter, was enclosed by a high fortified wall in 1285 and given special rights and privileges which survived long after such battlements collapsed. Here the Dean & Chapter could hold their own courts and appoint officials to keep the peace, while the residents were exempt from many tolls.
Next Stop: Constantine's Statue
Copyright ©2007 Britannia.com, LLC Questions? Comments!