| Tours > Ancient York > Minster Library|
by David Nash Ford BA,
History on Britannia
In the Dean's Park
The Minster Library, on the northern edge of the Dean's Park, is the largest cathedral library in Britain, housing over 90,000 books, many of them rare and valuable. The oldest, the York Gospel, was first brought to the city in 1020 and is still used as the cathedral's oath book.
The building itself is the chapel of the old archiepiscopal palace which stood in this area. Opening off the great hall for daily household services, it was built for Archbishop
Walter de Grey in 1230. Abandoned in the 16th century, it was restored as a place of study in 1806. By its very nature, the library, is accessible by the public, though the main upper hall of the chapel has irregular opening times.
Next Stop: Minster Yard
Copyright ©2007 Britannia.com, LLC Questions? Comments!