Tours > Winchester Cathedral |
Tour the Winchester Cathedral
by David Nash Ford BA, Editor, History on Britannia
Bishop Walkelin began construction of the present cathedral at Winchester in 1079. The major standing remains of this original
building are the three-storeyed north and south transepts. Their powerful Romanesque architecture gives a marvellous impression of
what the old Norman church must have looked like. The stone was imported from the Isle of White, while the finely cut columns of
the upper levels are believed to have been salvaged from the ruins of the old Roman city.
Both transepts now encompass several small chapels. The Epiphany Chapel, in the North Transept, is notable for its pre-Raphaelite
windows designed by Burne-Jones. Prior Silkstede's, in the South Transept, houses the grave of the famous 17th century writer and
fisherman, Isaak Walton. Above is the cathedral's museum in the Triforium Gallery.
Next Stop: Vaulting