Tours > Winchester Cathedral |
Tour the Winchester Cathedral
by David Nash Ford BA, Editor, History on Britannia
Holy Sepulchre Chapel
Beneath the tower-arch of the north transept of Winchester Cathedral, sits the Chapel of the Holy Sepulchre. It dates from the 12th century as shown by its
surprisingly colourful wall-paintings of about 1170. The finest works of this period in the country, they were probably executed under the patronage of Bishop Henry of Blois. This early work was only found in 1963, during conservation work beneath crusader-influenced paintings of fifty years later!
Here we see depicted the Entombment, the Saints Mary at the Sepulchre, the Harrowing of Hell, the Entry into Jerusalem, the Raising of Lazarus, busts of
prophets and scenes of St. Catherine. Many of these reflect the use of the chapel during liturgical ceremonies at Easter.
Next Stop: Tomb of William II