Tours > Winchester |
Tour the City of Winchester
by David Nash Ford BA, Editor, History on Britannia
Winchester College was founded by the great medieval philanthropist, William of Wykeham (Bishop of Winchester) in 1382. He had a large
complex of buildings erected just outside the city walls as an independent educational foundation to prepare poor boys for a life in the
church. It was a feeder school for his second foundation at New College, Oxford. The main buildings at Winchester today still date from this
period: the two courts, the gatehouses, the cloister, the hall and the superb college chapel.
Most of these ancient buildings are open to the public at regular periods, though the school is first and foremost a thriving educational
facility. It is one of the leading public (ie. private) schools in the country and many of the Britain's foremost public figures are past
Wykhamists (Winchester College Boys).
Next Stop: Bishop's Palace