The castle built in the reign of King John in 1216, on an earlier mote and bailey foundation, was the stronghold of the powerful De Braose family. It was destroyed in 1400 by Owain Glyndwr, rebuilt by Henry IV, had an Elizabethan or Jacobean manor house grafted onto to ruins, and finally was ordered destroyed after the Civil Wars.
Next Stop: Tretower, Breconshire
Copyright ©2001 Britannia.com, LLC Questions? Comments!