Search Britannia
Britannia Home
Travel Home
Tours

BRITISH CHURCH
Church Home
Historic Churches

TRAVEL GUIDES
London
Wales
Scotland
Earth Mysteries

TRAVEL RESOURCES
UK Vacations
UK & London Hotels
Travel Directories
Resource Centre
Reservations Centre
Packing Guide
Currency Converter
ATM Locator
UK Weather
UK Phonebook

GUIDE BOOKS
Pitkin Guides
Britain & England
London

TRAVEL SERVICES
Airport Transfers
Car Rental

Tours > Sussex Churches > Warminghurst

Holy Sepulchre - Warminghurst
TQ 117169; Five Miles North-West of Steyning

This isolated and windswept church is cared for by The Churches Conservation Trust. Its main fabric is of the thirteenth century but the interior is that of a church in the time of Jane Austen, having been remodelled in the early eighteenth century. Until the widespread nineteenth century restorations of our churches they would all have had this feel to them.

The pine box pews and high pulpit with reading desk give importance to the nave instead of the chancel emphasising the preaching of the word over the sacrament of communion. The division between nave and chancel is made by a wooden screen over which the Royal Arms of Queen Anne are painted. High on the wall are hatchments and a few hanging monuments. On the wall of the chancel is a Purbeck marble monument with bras inlaid portraits of Edward Shelley, his wife, seven sons and three daughters. It dates from 1554 and should be compared to the similar monument at Slaugham.

Next Stop: Itchingfield



Copyright ©2001 Britannia.com, LLC   Questions? Comments!   Design & Development Unica Multimedia