|Tours > Sussex Churches > Glynde|
St. Mary the Virgin - Glynde
TQ 456093; Three Miles South-East of Lewes
A rare eighteenth century church built in 1763 of knapped (squared) flints, quite unlike the flint rubble constructions most usually found in the county. Whilst it stands on the site of an earlier church it owes nothing to its predecessor being uncompromisingly classical in its design and its
interior surprisingly domestic.
Photographs do not do the interior justice. The walls are hung with printed hessian, the ceiling plastered and painted and the windows are a mixture of sixteenth and nineteenth century painted and stained
glass. There are two hatchments. The church was built for Richard Trevor, Bishop
of Durham, whose house, Glynde Place, stands alongside. As architect he chose
the northern landowner Sir Thomas Robinson who had already built a similar
church on his own estate at Rokeby Park. Glynde Place is open to the public in
the summer and visitors are advised to combine both house, garden and church to
make the most of their time in the village.
Next Stop: Ashburnham