|Tours > Sussex Churches > East Guldeford|
St. Mary - East Guldeford
TQ 937215; One Mile North-East of Rye
One feels that this church should be in Kent, but it is in
Sussex - that part of Sussex nearest Kent. It is built of brick, rendered in
part. The bricks are laid in 'English Bond' typical; of this early date. And
this construction reflects its date of 1505.
In 1499 Sorb Richard Guldeford was granted a faculty to build a church here at his own expense. Sir Richard was a Knight of the Garter who died on pilgrimage to the Holy Land the year after this church was built and was buried in Jerusalem. The surviving building has very little architectural detail but is full of character. It is filled with box pews
and its brick walls and limewashed walls create a domestic atmosphere.
is older than the church and must have been brought from elsewhere. There are
some fine textboards - a familiar furnishing in this part of England - and a
good Royal Arms of George IV. During the nineteenth century settlement on this
marshy ground meant that wooden upright supports had to be installed down the
centre of the building although these were replaced in the twentieth century by
the present tie beams. There are some unusual late nineteenth century angels
painted on the wall over the altar.
Next Stop: Withyham