|Tours > Sussex Churches > Edburton|
St. Andrew - Edburton
TQ 233115; Four Miles East of Steyning
In the area north of Shoreham there are many fine churches. Edburton is entered via an enormous stone porch which exhibits two scratch dials on its SE corner. These were used to determine the time of services in the late medieval period by inserting a gnomon into the central hole. The church is mainly of thirteenth century.
The north chapel is a good example of a rural chantry chapel which is a structural addition to an existing church rather than a 'building within a building' (see Boxgrove). Its piscina (wash basin for the priests fingers) shows that there has always been an altar in its present position. The lovely wooden pulpit is a good example of early seventeenth century construction and is traditionally that given by Archbishop William Laud (1573-1645) who was Patron of the Living of Edburton.
The chancel contains two low side windows, one north and one south. This feature shows that at different periods in the medieval periods the main centre of population moved from one side of the church to the other, making the first low side window redundant. The altar rails of close turned balusters is of the same date as the pulpit.
The star feature of the church, however, is the fine lead font. It is one of three in the county (the others are at Pyecombe and Parham) and dates from the thirteenth century. The bowl is decorated with threetiers of decoration, the uppermost being a typical early thirteenth century blank arcade with trefoil-headed arches.
Next Stop: Clayton