Tours > > Southwest Lincolnshire > Holme Pierrepont Hall |
Southwest Lincolnshire Country Houses
by Michael Ford, Country House Editor
Holme Pierrepont HallDay 6 - From Southwell, we aimed for Holme Pierrepont, southeast of Nottingham. Although it is on the western outskirts of the village of Radcliffe it has to be approached from the west past the National Water Sports Centre.
Holme Pierrepont Hall stands by the church of St. Edmund and gives the feeling of stepping back in time. It still retains its glorious red brick Tudor front with battlementing and dates from 1510.
The rooms inside appear as a medieval lodging and are as they would have been in those times. There is a hall open to the roof showing the ancient timbers. With the two other ranges of a later date a 'U' shape is formed around a beautiful enclosed garden. One of these wings is Georgian.
The property has always been in the Pierrepont family who were the Earls and Dukes of Kingston in the 17th and 18th centuries. In 1806 the house was inherited by a nephew, Earl Manvers. The Manvers built Thoresby Hall, another grand Salvin house, between 1864 and 1875 and moved there on its completion. Holme Pierrepont then became a lesser house.
In 1969 Mrs Brackenbury, a descendant of the 3rd Earl Manvers, purchased the property with her husband and so it still remains within the family.
There are many family portraits in the house and many family monuments in the church including an effigy of Sir Henry Pierrepont who died in 1499.
This interesting house is a member of the Historic Houses Association and may be visited on Thursdays from June to August, Wednesdays in July and August and Tuesdays in August from 2pm to 5:30pm during 1999.
We returned to Ropsley calling in a Bottesford church on the way to see the monuments to the Dukes of Rutland, which we missed when visiting Belvoir Castle.
NEXT STOP: Ropsley Church