Tours > > Southwest Lincolnshire > Marston Hall |
Southwest Lincolnshire Country Houses
by Michael Ford, Country House Editor
Marston HallDay 5.
Marston Hall retains the central hall of the original Elizabethan 'E-plan' house built by the Thorold family who had owned the estate since the 14th century.
When the family decided to make Syston Hall, nearer to Grantham, their principal residence in the 18th century, Marston was reduced in size. The present owner is the Reverend Henry Thorold.
Family monuments can be seen in the adjacent church of St. Mary and at St. Mary, Syston, three miles to the east, where only the park and lodge gatehouses still exist, the hall having been demolished in 1928.
The house and gardens at Marston are open to the public on the occasional Sunday in June and July or by appointment.
NEXT STOP: Newark