Tours > > Southwest Lincolnshire > Grantham |
Southwest Lincolnshire Country Houses
by Michael Ford, Country House Editor
Grantham Day 4 - We set out for Grantham.
Grantham is an ancient market town originating from Saxon times and recorded as a Royal Manor in the Domesday Book. Medieval Grantham was the preferred stopping place on the journey from London to the North, as it had many good inns and hostelries. The 'Angel and Royal Hotel' is one of the oldest inns in England and was used as a court by King John. It has a very fine late 15th century front. It was here that Richard III signed the Duke of Buckingham's death warrant. The town we see today is mostly Georgian.
St. Wulfram is one of the finest parish churches in the country and second only to Boston in Lincolnshire. It has the sixth tallest spire in England being 282ft high. Parts of the building can be identified as 12th century although originally Anglo-Saxon based.
King's School, where Isaac Newton was educated, was built around 1528 and survives as the library of the school we see today.
Ruins known as 'The Priory' are a 19th century folly.
Grantham House has a late 14th century core but an Elizabethan front. Once known as 'Hall Place' from the end of the 15th century to the beginning of the 17th century when the Hall family lived there.
It is now owned by the National Trust but can only be viewed by appointment from April to September on Wednesdays, in the afternoons from 2pm to 5pm.
NEXT STOP: Belvoir Castle