Tours > > Southwest Lincolnshire > Tattershall Castle |
Southwest Lincolnshire Country Houses
by Michael Ford, Country House Editor
Tattershall CastleDay 3 - From Boston we travelled northwest along more straight roads. On the way we passed through New York! Just before getting to Tattershall we saw the church of St. Michael at Coningsby which has a 16ft diameter clock-face with a large single hand which can be seen for miles across the moors.
Tattershall Castle was built in 1434 for Ralph, Lord Cromwell, Henry VI's Treasurer, on the site of Sir Robert de Tatershall's 13th century castle of which some remains can still be seen. The tower house is of brick and is 110ft high, standing in a moat. It can be climbed quite comfortably to the top through the four floor levels and on to the roof which commands fine views of the surrounding countryside. It is possible to see the Boston Stump in one direction and Lincoln Cathedral in the other on a clear day.
There are some good chimneypieces with heraldic decoration, spectacular brick vaulted passages, some of the best brickwork of their time to survive, and there is a vaulted basement.
The castle was saved from demolition in 1910 by George Nathaniel Curzon who restored the tower and left it to the National Trust on his death in 1925.
The castle is open from Saturday to Wednesday, 10:30am - 5:30pm, April to October.
The 15th century church of Holy Trinity dominated by the tower has a small floor monument to Tom Thumb who is believed to have lived in the village in a little house which can be seen on the roof of another house. Also in the village can be seen the Tattershall College where church choristers were taught, the remains of which are in the hands of English Heritage.
NEXT STOP: Sleaford