Tours > Coquetdale > Sharp's Folly |
At Whitton, immediately south of the river from Rothbury
This strange tower was built behind the village of Whitton in about 1720, when Dr. Thomas Sharp, son of the Archbishop of York, arrived as the Rector of nearby Rothbury. Sharp lived at the Pele Tower in Whitton and, being something of an eccentric as well as a man of letters, he came up with the erection of a folly as an early job-creation scheme for the locals. It did, however, have the added practical use as an observatory for the Doctor's astrological studies - and it gave him a fine sea-view.
The folly is privately owned but is easily viewable from the adjoining footpath, or from further away.
Next Stop: Tosson Tower