- the top member of a pier or wall upon which the weight of an arch rests.
- anyone having a strong adversity to Christianity, a generic term for "non-Christian."
- the ecclesiastical banning in an area of all sacraments except for baptism and extreme
unction. In general it does not ban high feast days. Used to force persons/institution/community
or secular lords to a view dictated by the church/pope.
- land exempt from tax (See Warland).
- elegant column, sometimes fluted, with ram's horn capital.
- the sides of a window, doorway or niche.
- year of remission, in which plenary indulgences for sin might be obtained by making
a pilgrimage to Rome.
- JUS PRIMAE NOCTIS
- the right by which a lord may sleep first night with the bride of a newly married
serf, although the custom may be avoided by the payment of a fine.
- the head of the royal judicial system and the king's viceroy when absent from the