Search Britannia

Britannia Departments
Travel
History
British Life
Shopping
Church Links
Church Home
Cathedrals
Church Histories
Saxon Churches
Christian Shrines
Ecclesiastical Resources
Churches of Herefordshire


Ledbury
St. Michael & All Angels' Church


Ledbury is the finest non-monastic church in Herefordshire. Despite its enormous detached 18th century spire (on a 13th century tower), it is not easily seen from the town's main street. Follow the delightful Church Lane and it quickly springs into view.

Ledbury Church is vast. It is mostly 13th & 14th century, and consists of a large arcaded nave with side aisles, chancel, sanctuary and chapels of St. Anne and Our Lady. The so called 'chapter house,' built around 1330, was supposedly erected by monks from St. Guthlac's in Hereford. They certainly, at one time, proposed to turn the church into an ecclesiastical college; but it may have been intended to house the shrine of 'Saint' Katherine Audley. It is a beautiful little chapel covered on all sides by huge ball-flower decorated gothic windows. A little old glass remains including a tiny portrait of King Canute. There are also Civil War relics and a fine monastic effigial monument.

The chancel has rare port-hole windows, once the clerestory of the 12th century church. The sanctuary is filled with an interesting collection of monuments: Mrs. Skynner, her family and her marvellous hat, a moving memorial to a small baby, a 15th century brass knight and others. There are Burne-Jones windows and a lovely modern work by John K. Clark in the North Aisle. It sits above the Biddulph family pew. This family have some good 18th century effigies above their vault in the south aisle. In the Lady Cahpel is a fine late 14th century monument similar to that at Much Marcle, possibly to a Lady Carew, sister of Grimbald Pauncefot. She adjoins the grave of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's parents.

Click for Next Herefordshire Church





  

  Britannia.com      Copyright ©2000 Britannia.com, LLC