A fine transitional church, neither Norman nor Early English, built around 1180 adjoining the Bishop's Palace of Bosbury, of which only an arch of the gatehouse now remains. The massive detached tower was clearly built for defence some forty years later. Such separate towers are usually thought to acted as strongholds during Welsh raids and that at Bosbury certainly backs up the theory. The walls are six feet thick! Presumably it was largely for the protection of the Bishop rather than the villagers. Its spire was lost after being struck by lightning in 1638.
The church interior has a good 15th century rood screen, but is most notable for its memorials to past residents of the leased-out Bishop's Palace. Sir Rowland Morton built the fan-vaulted 'Morton Chantry' in 1528, copying his uncle, Cardinal John Morton's work at Canterbury Cathedral. There is an interesting family rebus with the decoration. The Harfords followed. They have two vast renaissance style effigial monuments flanking the high altar. John's has the earliest known signed sculptural monument in the country: "John Guldo of Hereford" (1573). Richard's is somewhat later but, though cruder, has a rustic charm about it. The naked caryatids may be Adam and Eve. There is a nice 14th century preaching cross in the churchyard.