II* listed country house at Felixkirk
near Thirsk was built of sandstone in
1720 for Reverend William Elsley. It
changed hands in 1866 when it was bought
by twin brothers, John and Edmond Walker
and some rebuilding took place shortly
afterwards in the 1870s. No further
alterations were carried out until 1964.
The main doorway is unusual being on the
West side rather than the five bay front.
The house has full height angle pilasters
with a parapet and corner urns. There is
a very grand look about the property. The
present owners have completed a
restoration with remodelling to suit
modem day living. The whole is set in 141
acres of parkland and is surrounded by
both formal and walled gardens and has an
exceptional equestrian facility to one
side which includes a traditional stable
block built in 1746. The estate also has
a very attractive lodge gate cottage.
property is offered for sale through the
York office of the agent FPD Savills at a price in
excess of £3 million
Photograph reproduced by king permission of FPD Savills.