Welcome to Britannia's Award-Winning History Department


Search Britannia


Pitkin Guides

Shop Britannia
BRITANNIA GATEWAYS
Home | History | Travel
Tours | London | Arts
Panorama | News

History Quicklist

HISTORY GATEWAYS
Monarchs | Timelines
Documents | Maps | EBK
King Arthur | Biographies Time Indexes

Travel Quicklist




History of Moreton Castles in South Moreton in the Royal County of Berkshire
by David Nash Ford

M O R E T O N
C A S T L E S

Keeping Matilda at Bay

Conquest Castle

At the end of Church Lane, next to the Church in South Moreton, stands a Norman conquest castle. It remains as an irregular circular mound with a trench nearly all the way round and the Mill Brook acting as a moat. It may have never been finished, but was presumably intended for either William Lovett or Humphrey Visdeloup who owned manors in the parish at Domesday (1086). A second castle stands to the north.

Adulterine Castle

Further north from South Moreton's conquest castle, surrounding a manor house that may date back to the 12th century, are the extensive remains of the moat of a Siege-Castle of King Stephen's reign. In the 1150s, the King was busy trying to prevent his cousin, the Empress Matilda, from appropriating his throne. During a fierce Civil War, the Empress' main HQ was at Wallingford and Moreton Castle is thought to have been one of three built to keep her forces in check.



  Britannia.com   Copyright 1999 Britannia.com, LLC