Welcome to Britannia's Award-Winning History Department


Search Britannia


Pitkin Guides

Shop Britannia
BRITANNIA GATEWAYS
Home | History | Travel
Tours | London | Arts
Panorama | News

History Quicklist

HISTORY GATEWAYS
Monarchs | Timelines
Documents | Maps | EBK
King Arthur | Biographies Time Indexes

Travel Quicklist




History of La Beche Castle in Aldworth in the Royal County of Berkshire
by David Nash Ford

L A      B E C H E
C A S T L E

The Home of Giants

La Beche Castle once stood on the site of what is now merely Beche Farm in Aldworth. This was the main residence of the De La Beche family, after whom it was named. They were a well-known family of medieval knights holding many high positions at court since at least 1260. Their grand monuments can still be seen in the church. Known as the "Aldworth Giants", they were erected by the most influential member of the family, Lord Nicholas De La Beche in the 1340s. The most tangible link with the castle however is seal of the latter's sister-in-law that was dug up at the Farm.



  Britannia.com  (T) 302.234.8904    (F) 302.234.9154    Copyright 1999 Britannia.com, LLC