|Staffordshire Fruit Cake|
YEAST BATTER INGREDIENTS: Butter - 175 g (6 oz), Caster sugar - 175 g (6 oz), Eggs - 4, Plain flour - 225 g (8 oz), Ground mace - * tsp, Baking powder - * tsp, Black treacle - 50 g (2 oz), Ground almonds - 50 g (2 oz), Currants - 225 g (8 oz), Glace cherries - 50 g (2 oz), quartered, Mixed peel - 50 g (2 oz), chopped, Brandy - 1 tbsp, Lemon juice - 2 tsp.
DOUGH INGREDIENTS: Plain flour - 175 g (6 oz), Mixed spice - 1 tsp, Caster sugar - 25 g (1 oz), Butter - 25 g (1 oz), melted, Egg - 1.
COOKING: 1. Set the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas 4.
2. Grease and line a 20 cm (8 inch) round cake tin. Cream the butter and sugar together
in a bowl until light and fluffy. Whisk the eggs together in a bowl set over a pan of
hot water then beat into the butter mixture.
3. Sift together the flour, mace and baking powder and fold into the butter mixture,
alternately with the treacle and ground almonds.
4. Mix the currants, cherries and peel together and stir into the mixture with the brandy
and lemon juice.
5. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth over the top.
6. Bake for 2 hours, covering the top with a piece of kitchen foil if it appears to be
browning too quickly.
7. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack.