The pastry in this dish uses rolled oats for an unusual
texture. Serves 4-6.
INGREDIENTS: Plain flour - 175 g (6 oz), Porridge oats - 50 g (2 oz), Butter - 110 g (4 oz) diced, Broccoli - 350 g (12 oz), Eggs - 3, Milk - 300 ml.
COOKING: 1. Pre-heat oven to 200C / 400F / Gas 6.
2. Put the flour and oats in a bowl and rub in the butter
until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add enough
cold water to bind the mixture together and form a firm
3. Roll out on a lightly floured surface and use to line a
23 cm (9 inch) flan dish. Bake blind for 10-15 minutes,
until set but not too brown. Reduce the oven temperature
to 190C / 375F / Gas 5.
4. Roughly chop the broccoli, then cook in boiling water
until just tender. Drain well. Arrange in the flan case.
5. Whisk together the eggs and milk. Pour into the flan
case, making sure the broccoli is covered.
6. Bake at 190C / 375F / Gas 5 for about 40 minutes,
until lightly set. Serve warm.<