Baked Onions with Nut Stuffing|
Choose onions that are hard, with no obvious soft spots. Avoid any that are showing signs of sprouting. Although raw onions are known for their pungent smell, when cooked they have a mild, sweet flavour which contrasts well with the cheesy stuffing.
INGREDIENTS: Onions - 4 large each weighing 225-275 g (8-10 oz), Long grain rice - 150 g (5 oz), Hazelnuts - 50 g (2 oz), Salted peanuts - 50 g (2 oz), Tomatoes - 225 g (8 oz) roughly chopped, Cheddar cheese - 110 g (4 oz) grated, Dried basil - tsp, Dried oregano - tsp, Turmeric - 1 tsp.
COOKING: 1. Pre-heat oven to 200C / 400F / Gas 6.
2. Boil the onions in their skins for 45-50 minutes until
very tender. Drain and leave to cool.
3. Cook the rice in plenty of boiling water, until tender.
4. Put the hazelnuts and peanuts on a sheet of foil and cook
under the grill until brown, turning frequently. Leave
the skins on the hazelnuts and finely chop with the
5. Mix the tomatoes with the rice, cheese, nuts, herbs and
6. Slice off the tip and root of each onion, but leave on
the coloured outer skin. Down one side of each onion cut
through to the centre from tip to root. Ease the onions
7. Divide the stuffing between each onion, pressing it well
into the centre. Place in a roasting tin, cover and bake
for about 40 minutes. Serve hot.