Description of St.
Mary's Church, Old Basing, Hampshire in
published in Collectanea Topographica
B A S I N G
A Church Note
Church, dedicated to St. Mary, consists
of a Nave, Chancel, North and South
Aisles, and North and South Chapels.
The east window is of five lights
cinquefoiled, with a heading of eight
separation from the north chapel is by
two raised tombs under canopied arches,
with panelled compartments in the soffit,
and having between them a low
pointed-arched doorway. Immediately above
this door is a canopied niche supported
by a bracket resting on a head, and
having its side shafts supported by blank
spandrels of the arch of the tomb nearest
to the nave have blank shields and
foliage. Immediately above this arch is a
large shield, bearing, Quarterly:
1. Barry of six, a
bend; crescent for difference, Poynings.
2. On a chief two mullets, St. John.
3. Three water bougets, Roos. 4.
Two lions passant guardant, Delamere. 5.
Three bars ermine, Hussey. 6.
A fess between three fleurs de lys, Skelton.
7. Fretty, with a canton, Ireby.
8. Two lions passant guardant.
On an escutcheon of pretence, three
swords, points conjoined in pile, Paulet.
surmounted by a helmet with the crest of
St. John, viz. a falcon rising ducally
gorged, adopted by this branch or the
inscription along the frieze below is "Qui
coats noticed on the monument of Sir
George Paulet at Crondal. He was son of
Sir John and Alice Paulet hereafter
At the point of the
arch is the figure of an angel holding a
shield, Quarterly of eight, as before,
with the escutcheon of pretence, and
impaling Quarterly, 1 and 4, Paulet,
2 and 3, On a chief a demi lion rampant,
monuments, although combined and forming
a sort of open screen between the chancel
and the two chapels, are in fact distinct
from each other, it will be necessary to
consider them as if they were isolated.
The north side of this monument,
therefore, which would otherwise be
considered in connection with the north
chapel, must here be noticed; and so of
the others. It has on its north side a
shield similar to that on the south side,
and surmounted by the helmet and crest;
and the beginning of the inscription
along the frieze from left to right is, "Hic
jacet Johes Poulet, miles, et Alicia ux.
ej." continuing, "qui
obierunt," & co. as before
described. The shields in the spandrels
He was son
of John Paulet and Eleanor his wife,
hereafter mentioned. His wife, Alice, was
daughter to Sir William Paulet, of
Hinton St. George, by Elizabeth, daughter
and heir of John Denbaud, of Hinton St.
The other monument
on this side of the Chancel, and nearest
to the communion rails, has on each of
its sides a shield bearing the same coats
as on the preceding monument, excepting
that the third quartering is that of Paulet
in place of Roos; and that
there is no escutcheon of pretence. It is
surmounted by a helmet and crest. The
side facing the north chapel is similar;
the shields in the spandrels being also
blank. The inscription along the frieze,
beginning on the north side, is "Hic
jacet Johes Poulet, armig, et Elenor uxr
ej." and then continued on the
south side, "qui obierunt mese
Septembris, anno Dni 1488. I.H."
He was son of Sir John
Paulet and Constance Poynings. His wife
Eleanor was daughter and heir of Robert
Roos, of Skelton. His grandfather,
William Paulet, married the heiress of
Delamare, of Nunney.
spandrels of the door, on both its sides,
have, on the left a shield bearing Paulet,
and on the right the Poynings'
badge, viz. a key suspended within a
knotted cord ring. This door has above it
a niche on the north, as on the south
between the chancel and the south chapel
is similar. The door has two shields in
the spandrels, one bearing Paulet,
with a crescent for difference; the
other bearing a lion rampant between
three cross-crosslets fitchy, Capel.
For Sir William Paulet, son of Sir John
and Alice Paulet, was created Marquess of
Winchester. lie built Basing. His first
wife was Alice, daughter of Sir William
Capel, Lord Mayor of London.
of the niche above is a large shield, of
later date, within a garter (the whole
being inclosed by a square frame-work),
bearing, Quarterly, 1. Paulet. 2.
Roos. 3. Poynings. 4. St.
John. 5. Delamare. 6.
Hussey. 7. Skelton. 8. Ireby.
9. Six martlets, 3, 2, and 1,
Walshe. [Some commentators give these
arms as Delamore.]
These coats are not
very correctly marshalled. They should be
placed thus 1. Paulet. 2. Delamare,
bringing in 3. Hussey. 4. Poynings,
bringing in 5. St. John. 6. Roos,
bringing in 7. Skelton. 8. Ireby;
and 9. Walshe.
supporters are, two hinds semée of
estoiles; and the motto, "Aymes
loyaulté." The whole is surmounted
by a helmet and crest.
coat is also over the door on the south
The spandrels of
the doorway on the side facing the south
chapel have two shields; one charged with
the badge of Poynings, the other
bearing, a chevron between three
roundels, on a chief a fret between two
roses: an old coat of Capel.
monument on the chancel side, and nearest
to the east end, is surmounted by the
same coat quarterly within a garter, but
without supporters. In the spandrels of
the arch are shields. That to the east
has the same coats within a garter, and
surmounted by a coronet: that to the west
bears, Quarterly, 1 and 4, Capel, 2
and 3, Capel ancient; also
surmounted by a coronet.
corresponding monument on the western
side is surmounted by a shield bearing
the same ten coats quarterly, but without
the garter. The shields in the spandrels
are blank. A debased cornice, in the
Italian style, runs along the upper part
of the wall immediately over these two
monumental arches. The south sides of
these monuments are, in every respect,
correspondent to the sides next the
chancel. The doors on either side of the
chancel have small openings through the
jambs nearest to the communion table, as
if intended for confession.
NORTH CHAPEL: The
east window is pointed, and of five
lights cinquefoiled, but closed up [and
since restored]. On the north side
are four windows of three cinquefoiled
lights each, with headings of quatrefoils
and trefoils. The ceiling has been
replastered, but there are figures of six
angels forming the corbels of the old
raftered roofing, each bearing a shield.
Three of these shields are charged with
the Poynings' badge; the fourth
bears the coat of Skelton; the
fifth, a peacock in its pride, the crest
of Roos; the sixth, three lions
arms are placed against the east window
of this chapel, and are inscribed,
"1660, C. R." [but now
housed in the South Aisle.] The
church was repaired in 1839, when the old
communion rails were removed to this
chapel. They have a carved inscription as
follows: "This don by Francis
CHAPEL: The east window is similar to
that in the north chapel, and closed up [but
since restored]. Erected against it [though
now on the south wall] is a modern
monument of white marble, with a good
bust of the deceased, and a female figure
mourning below. The motto, "Aymez
loyaulté." On the right, the coat
of Paulet: on the left
the crest of that family, with the
most noble Prince
sixth DUKE OF BOLTON,
Marquess of England, Earl of Wiltshire,
Basing of Basing, Baron St. John of
25th December 1794.
excellent understanding, and firm
persevering disinterested attachment to
the liberty of his country, procured him
respect; from the genuine goodness of his
heart, which was manifest in every action
of his life, lie died lamented, as lie
lived beloved. This public testimony of
his disconsolate widow's affection, is
raised by her to the memory of the
fondest of husbands and fathers, and best
remembers the last Duke of Bolton. His
widow was Catharine, daughter of James,
Earl of Lonsdale. She died in 1809.
end are suspended several funeral
helmets, coronets, gauntlets, & co.
and the shield of Paulet within the
ribband and motto of the Order of the
Bath. There is also another helmet
suspended over the door between the two
canopied monuments. [All now adorn the
south and west walls of the chapel.]
side has four windows of three lights,
each cinquefoiled. Against this wall are
Quarterly, 1. Paulet. 2. Poynings.
3. St. John. 4. Azure,
a bend within a bordure or, Scrope. The
whole encircled by a garter. The impaled
coat is, Quarterly, 1 and 4, Gules, three
bezants, two and one, a chief or, Beswick.
2 and 3, Argent, on a bend
gules cotised dancetté three garbs.
Supporters, crest, and coronet. For
Lavinia Beswick (Polly Peachum) wife of
Charles third Duke of Bolton, K.G. The
coat given is that of Beswick of Kent. [This
hatchment has long since disappeared.]
single, with the crest.
Against the north
wall [but now on the south wall]
is another achievement, bearing, Paulet,
with a canton argent thereon a shield
azure, charged with a fish hauriant
argent; impaling Paulet, within
a bordure or. Supporters, an antelope
ducally gorged and semée of estoiles or,
and a Cornish chough proper. Crest of Paulet;
with a Baron's coronet. It is the
achievement of the late Lord Bolton, who
died in 1807, having assumed the name and
arms of Paulet, on succeeding to
the estates of Charles fifth Duke of
Bolton, whose natural daughter he had
On slabs: "In
memory of JOHN BRASIER, Senr. Steward to
the late Duke of Bolton, who departed
this life April 22nd, 1805, aged 73
years. Also JANE BRASIER, wife to the
above John Brasier, who departed this
life February 5th, 1801, aged 74
rest the remains of THOMAS LANE, of
Totnes, in the county of Devon,
Gentleman, &,co. Died 29th Day of
December 1789, in ye 63rd year of his
of these two chapels and of the chance is
higher than that of the nave and aisles,
with which they communicate by four stone
Separated from the chancel by a high
pointed arch, but which was altered to
that form in 1839. The tower rests on
this and on three other arches. That to
the north is a low circular arch on
Norman columns, one having a fan capital.
There were, no doubt, similar columns on
the south side, but the arch only
remains, resting on plain supports. It is
separated front the north and south
aisles by three pointed arches resting on
octagonal columns, the west end arch on
the south side being closed up to form a
vestry [where the present organ
stands]. There are eight figures of
angels holding shields, forming the
corbels of the raftered roofing of the
nave. At the west end is a paltry singing
gallery (but which is shortly to be
pulled down and altered [This is
exactly what has subsequently happened.]),
with its small organ [also now
gone]. This end has a window of four
lights cinquefoiled, with a quatrefoil
heading. On the floor is a diamond slab,
inscribed, "SARAH ORMSBY, died
March 13th, 1831, aged 88."
AISLE: Has three pointed windows of two
cinquefoiled lights each, with trefoil
headings. It has also a west window,
pointed, and of three cinquefoil lights,
with a heading of three cinquefoil
lights. The roof is raftered, having the
figures of eight angels holding shields
for corbels. The Font is at the west end.
It is of stone, and octagonal, with two
pointed arches in relief on each pannel.
It rests on an octagonal column, elevated
on two steps [and now stands in the
South Aisle]. At the west end is a
mural monument of white marble,
to the memory of ANNE MARY BURLEY, Wife
of William. Burley, of Montagu Square,
London, Esq. and second daughter of
William Apletree, of Goldings, in the
county of Southampton, Esq. Departed this
life the 22d September 1831, aged 23
years," & co.
north side, another mural monument of
to the memory of FRANCES, Wife of WILLIAM
APLETREE, Esq. of Goldings, & co.
Died 16th Day of October 1832, in the
51st year of her age." & co.
mural slab of marble:
to the memory of
RUSSELL, Esq. F.R. A.S.S.
and honourably occupied in the business
and revenues of His Majesty's Duchy of
as Solicitor to the Board of Control for
the affairs of India.
character and virtues in his private
his professional talents and exertions in
the public service,
his life dear to his family and friends,
and useful to his country.
death sincerely lamented by all.
eulogy is only just, but what can be
died 1st September 1795, aged 55
ANNE RUSSELL, widow of the above named
Francis Russell, and daughter of the late
Revd Samuel Kirshaw, D.D. Vicar of Leeds
and Rector of Ripley in the county of
York. In her character were united great
personal beauty, a rectitude of mind, an
improved understanding, and elegance of
manner, and, what is now of more avail, a
strict performance of all the duties of a
Christian. She died 5th October 1803,
aged 51 years."
floor are slabs covering the remains of
Francis and Ann Russell: and also, "Lucy
RUSSEL, daughter of the late John Russel,
of Basingstoke, Gent. and sister of the
above mentioned Francis Russel, who died
February 7th, 1797, aged 72 years."
On a stone
slab: "Here lyeth buried the body
of CHRISTOPHER THORNTON, servant to the
most noble Charles Lord Marquess of
Winchester." Then follow some
doggerel lines, but no date.
the wall are three achievements:
1. Paly of six,
sable and or, on a chief of the second
two pallets of the first, on an
inescutcheon ermine, two bars gules, Burley,
impaling, Argent, on a fess gules
three lozenges or, Apletree.
Quarterly, 1 and 4, Argent, on a fess
gules three lozenges (painted by mistake,
checky), Apletree. 2 and 3,
Argent, a lion rampant gules, on a chief
sable three escallops argent, Russell,
impaling Quarterly, 1 and 4, Sable,
on a bend argent three lozenges gules,
each charged with a plate. 2. Argent, a
lion rampant azure. 3. Azure, six
annulets or, 3, 2, and 1.
3. Russell. On
an escutcheon of pretence, Quarterly, 1
and 4, Gules, a cross pattée fitchy,
entwined by a knotted cord ring argent,
on a chief or two martlets argent. 2.
Argent, a chevron sable between three
fountains. 3. Per bend sable and or, a
lion rampant counterchanged. Crest, of Russell,
viz. a goat passant argent. [This
hatchment has long disappeared.]
entrance to the north chapel is
laudem Xpi et MARIAE matris sue per
JOH'EM POULET, milite, hec erecta
concistul, Ano. Dni 1519."
the north wall is a Table of Benefactions
collected in 1839, for repairing and
beautifying the Church, & co.
Bishop of Winchester £10
College, Oxford £100
Lord Bolton £50
Sophia Shepherd £50
James Blatch, Vicar £20
Lutley Sclater, Esq. of Hoddington House
for promoting and repairing of Churches
Booth, Esq. of this parish £10
Covey, Esq. £5
W. Chute, Esq. M.P. for Norfolk £5
Chute of the Vine £5
T. May, of Leigh Vicarage, Clerk £5
Society for increasing Church
WIGG & WILL. WILLOCK, Churchwardens.
Church was repaired in 1839; forty
sittings in addition to 352 formerly
provided, of which 200 were free."
AISLE: Has two pointed windows of two
cinquefoiled lights, each with trefoiled
headings. A third window over the door is
closed up [but since restored].
The rafters of the roofing are supported
by angels as before, one of which, in
place of holding a shield, has a musical
instrument, and another a book. At the
entrance close to the south door, is a
stone slab, which had formerly brasses of
a man and his wife with an inscription. [Family
tradition assigns a brass of the May
family to this church. It was removed
& sold by the vicar].
the wall is a list of Benefactions, all
of which are recorded in the Reports of
the Commissioners on Charities.
was given in 1834, and the clock in 1835,
by the Revd. James Blatch, Vicar.
Register commences in 1655; but there is
no Baptism before 1671. The present
number of bells is two; one has recently
been recast. The other is inscribed,
"Henry Moore, George Michell, C. W.
seem almost a matter of certainty, from
the size of the tower, & co., that
there was originally a peal of bells, and
the incumbent, the Revd. S. Davies,
states, that the traditions of the place
specify particular churches in the
neighbourhood as being the recipients of
the old bells, dispersed during the Civil
The south door is plain, having a porch
of brick with stone copings [since
taken down]. Its date is subsequent
to the south aisle, a window of which is
obscured by it. The whole church is of
brick, with stone copings, and is tiled;
the nave, chancel, chapels, and aisles,
having, all distinct roofings.
The south aisle has
stone buttresses of two stages, and a
stone cornice enriched with gargoyles,
grotesque heads, and shields, of which
latter there are four: bearing, 1. the Poynings'
badge. 2. Three coats, viz. Paulet,
Roos, and Poynings. 3. St.
John, Delamare, and Hussey. 4.
Skelton, Ireby, and Walshe.
dripstones of the windows terminate in
shields, bearing, 1. The Poynings'
badge. 2. Some coat obliterated, probably
Paulet. 3. Roos. 4.
Poynings. 5. St. John. 6.
Delamare. 7. Hussey, and 8. Skelton.
The dripstone of
the east window of this south chapel also
terminates in shields bearing, 1. Ireby.
and 2. Walshe.
dripstone of the east window of the
chancel has plain terminations.
window of the north chapel has a
dripstone terminating in shields,
bearing, 1. Three lions rampant. 2. An
eagle displayed. The first may be for FitzPiers,
and the second for Albany, both
coats quartered by Paulet.
Above this window is a
shield charged with the badge of
left, on the cornice, is a large
gargoyle, and a shield bearing the coat
of Roos. On the right, a half
human figure and a shield bearing the
coat of Walshe.
side of this chapel has also a cornice
enriched with. gargoyles, grotesque
heads, and shields. There are four of the
latter, bearing, 1. St. John. 2. Paulet.
3. Ireby. 4. Skelton.
The dripstones of
these four windows also terminate in
shields: 1. Hussey, and the Poynings'
badge. 2. Paulet, and the same. 3.
Ireby, and the same. 4. Delamare, and
are dated 1766, and bear the three
swords of Paulet.
There is a
pointed-arched door, with small columns,
to the north aisle. That to the north
chapel is modern. The cornice, with its
gargoyles, is continued all round the
The west door is of
a late period, viz. about the time of
James the First. Over the west window, in
a rich canopied niche, are stone figures
of the Virgin and Child, and immediately
under them is an angel holding a shield,
bearing, Quarterly, 1. Three lions
rampant, two and one, Fitz Piers. 2.
Delamare. 3. Roos. 4.
Hussey. 5. Walshe. 6. Skelton. 7.
Ireby. 8. (mutilated.) On an
escutcheon of pretence, Paulet.
is large and square, and of brick,
divided into stages by stone tablets,
ornamented with. heads. It is embattled,
and has embattled pinnacles of stone
surmounted by balls and vanes. It is
lighted by four square windows of two
plain lights each with a label dripstone.
The whole church is of brick partially
coated with cement, and is large and
Tour of Old Basing Church
Tour of Old Basing Church
of Old Basing Church
Where is Old Basing Church?
Bio: David Ford grew up in
North-East Hampshire and has always been
fascinated by the history of the local
area. Old Basing Church holds a special
interest as many of his ancestors are
buried in the adjoining churchyard.