Search Britannia
Britannia Departments
Travel
History
British Life
Shopping
Britannia Favourites
NEW! Britannia Tours
London Guide
Wales Guide
Monarchs of Britain
NEW! Biographies
British Government
UK Newspapers Online
Earth Mysteries
The Arts: Theatre, Literature
What's Cooking
Amazon.com logo
Search for:

Enter keywords:
Search Amazon for books, videos, music CDs, toys, electronics. Just select the category, type in your keyword(s) and click search. Or if you feel like bidding on something, click Amazon Auctions


The Church of St. Mary
by Stephanie James

T H E   C H U R C H  O F  S T.  M A R Y
Sompting, Sussex

The Church of St. Mary in Sompting is one of the most striking examples of Anglo-Saxon architecture in all of England. Its primary distinguishing feature is the Rhenish Helm or Rhineland Helmet of the tower. This is the only known example of this style with roots in the Anglo-Saxon period. See the detailed essay for more information.

Sompting TowerThe date of construction is not known, but the church was mentioned in the Domesday Book compiled under the direction of William the Conqueror in 1086. By 1154 the church had been granted to the Order of the Temple of Solomon in Jerusalem, more commonly known as the Knights Templar.

The Knights Templar rebuilt the nave and chancel on the original Saxon plan. They also added the present north and south transepts in about 1180.

By 1324 a series of political events put the Order of theKnights of the Temple of Jerusalem in a precarious political position. The Pope had formally dissolved the Templar Order and decreed that their property must be transferred to another order of Crusaders. In 1324 Edward II formally transferred the property of the Knights Templar to the Order of the Knights of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem, often known as the Knights of St. Johnor the Hospitallers. By 1540 the tides had turned against the Hospitallers. The Reformation Parliament of Henry VIII dissolved the Order of the Hospital of St. John in 1540. The much of the Church at Sompting fell into ruin.

In 1963 Major G.N. Tristram presented the patronage of the Church of St. Mary to the re-founded order of the Hospital of St. John.


Architectural & Historical Discussion
The Rhenish Helm

Related Pages:
Saxon Churches

  

  Britannia.com      Copyright ©1999 Britannia.com, LLC