Search Britannia
Britannia Departments
Travel
History
British Life
Shopping
Britannia Favourites
NEW! Britannia Tours
London Guide
Wales Guide
Monarchs of Britain
NEW! Biographies
British Government
UK Newspapers Online
Earth Mysteries
The Arts: Theatre, Literature
What's Cooking
Amazon.com logo
Search for:

Enter keywords:
Search Amazon for books, videos, music CDs, toys, electronics. Just select the category, type in your keyword(s) and click search. Or if you feel like bidding on something, click Amazon Auctions


The Church of St. Laurence Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire
by Stephanie James

C H U R C H   O F   S T.   L A U R E N C E

This page includes a basic outline about the Anglo-Saxon Chapel at Bradford-on-Avon. If you would like to go into more depth, please click on the related link as they include a much more detailed analysis of the structure and the complications with assigning a date to the building.

There is much debate about the date of construction of the Chapel of St. Laurence at Bradford-on-Avon. The estimates range from the early eighth century to the mid eleventh century, depending upon the dating technique used. Based on the written evidence, the building should be dated to the early eighth century but stylistically, it reflects a date in the late tenth or more likely, the early eleventh century.

The Author at Anglo-Saxon Chapel of St. Laurence, Bradford-on-AvonSome have suggested that it was the church built in AD 705 by St. Aldhelm as recorded by William of Malmesbury; however, the stylistic features suggest that it was built at a later date. Others have tried to reconcile these two theories by explaining that the church was rebuilt on the foundations of Aldhelm's original church in the tenth or eleventh century, thus incorporating both the written evidence and the stylistic evidence.

The Saxon church was discovered by chance. After the ecclesiastical uses of the building ceased, it was converted for secular use. The nave had been used as a school since 1715 and the chancel was owned by somebody different and was used as a private cottage. Because of the Saxon tradition of building tall churches, it was possible to divide the building horizontally and thus add an upper storey for living space. The chancel was actually divided into 3 stories.

The Saxon fabric of the building was recognized in 1856 by Canon Jones, Vicar of Bradford. During some repairs on the building, the Bradford Angels were discovered. This discovery led Canon Jones to believe that the building was an ancient church. He began research and discovered a passage in William of Malmesbury's Gesta Pontificum (dated circa 1125) which stated that "to this day at that place there exists a little church which Aldhelm is said to have built to the name of the most blessed Laurence".

In 1871 the church was purchased and recognized as an "ancient monument" as Jones believed it to be the church about which William of Malmesbury wrote. Thus, it was rededicated to St. Laurence, reconsecrated, and opened to the public. It remains one of the gems of Anglo-Saxon architecture and is well worth the visit.

Part 2: Architectural & Historical Discussion

Related Pages:
Saxon Churches

  

  Britannia.com      Copyright ©1999 Britannia.com, LLC